Though it is no longer standing today, it opened the door to plastic based construction materials.
New technologies are discovered or created almost every single day. Some of them last – and some of them don’t. This house, made entirely out of plastic, was constructed in Leningrad in 1961.
Michael Reynolds, Garbage Warrior, builds Earthships
Michael J. Reynolds, architect of Earthships, spent 17 years battling with the state of New Mexico, partly due to the fact that these houses are “off the grid” (no utility bills). Ultimately, he designed this “tire house” for Dennis Weaver (actor in “Gunsmoke”). Earthships are now built all over the globe.
Eco houses are built from local earth-filled Superadobe coils (earth stabilized with cement or lime).
Another new technology is concrete fiber. Using this technology and a blower, you can build a structure in one day. Applications for use in many areas, not the least of which are relief efforts, are being explored. Check out this new technology here:
According to the 1999 Harris Poll:
80% of the problems in organizations today are caused by structural or functional inadequacies due to ineffective management
85% of people in management positions have never had management training
Graceland College Center for Professional Development and Lifelong Learning, Inc. states:
Most organizational difficulties aren’t caused by poor employee performance and attitudes, but by managers who don’t know how to lead their people properly.
The Skillpath Publication, “Unleashing the Power of Everyday Leadership” lists the Number Ones. They are as follows:
1. The Number One job as a manager is to make sure your employees are doing the jobs they were hired to do.
2. The Number One purpose of every organization is to create and retain customers.
3. The Number One management concept of all time is MBWA – Management by Wandering Around.
4. The Number One goal as a manager is to work yourself out of a job.
5. The Number One way to reach your goal is D.E.O. – Delegate, Empower, and Give Ownership
6. The Number One attitude every manager must have is a professional attitude.
7. The Number One way to motivate and retain most employees is to show appreciation for a job well done.
8. The Number One way to motivate every employee is to ask them.
9. The Number One way to gain employee commitment is involvement.
10. The Number One reason most employees quit is they quit lousy bosses.
11. The Number One leadership strategy of all time is the law of reciprocity.
12. The Number One quality every leader must have is vision.
13. The Number One way to lead is according to the situation.
14. The Number One problem in most organizations is a lack of effective communication.
15. The Number One way to reduce stress in the workplace is teamwork.
16. The Number One reason for poor performance or behavior is a lack of measurable standards.
17. The Number One way to deal with poor performance or behavior is to talk about it.
18. The Number One way to succeed as a manager is to surround yourself with successful people.
19. The Number One reason for wanting to be a manager is you can make a difference.
As a manager or leader, are you living the Number Ones? Would your employees agree with you? If the answer to that question is NOT a definite YES, then it’s time you got out of the box. This will help:
All things interesting or important.